Grilled Avocados & the best Guacamole EVER!!

The last few weeks I’ve seen several posts around the net about grilling avocados.  Guacamole and avocados are a favorite in our house so I thought I would give it a try… it was different!  Now I wouldn’t say this is my favorite but its totally worth a try, grilling adds such a nice smokey flavor.

I found several directions some said to grill them with the skin on and others said with out, I decided to try it both ways!  Under the flames the peels shrunk but it was sooooo much easier to flip them.  So make sure to leave them on!

Once you remove them from the grill you can mash them and use them in your favorite guac recipe… I included mine… along with my secret ingredients.  I guess it isn’t much of a secret anymore!  Over the years I have tried many guac recipes and they are all good but nothing compared to this one.

Recipe: Grilled Guacamole

How to Grill the Avocados

• 4 Avocados, ripe but firm
  • Olive Oil

Instructions

1. Heat your grill and oil the grates lightly.
  2. Split each avocado with a knife and remove the pit.
  3. Lightly brush with oil.
  4. Arrange avocado halves on the grill and cover.
  5. Grill for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. (Keep and eye on the they should be lightly cooked and have grill marks.)
  6. Take the avocados off the grill let them cool.

Recipe: The Best Guacamole!!

Ingredients

• a splash of lime juice
  • salt to taste
  • a spoonfull of mayonnaise (sounds strange… but trust me!)
  • one clove of garlic (you can use garlic salt just omit the salt from the recipe)
  • salsa

Instructions

1. Smash the avocados with a fork and stir in the juice, salt pepper, mayonnaise, garlic and salsa.
  2. Serve with chips.

Notes

I don’t measure anything out I just eyeball it but you will want to add enough mayo to make the guacamole creamy, usually just a small spoonful.  Only add a small splash of lime or you could use lemon, the acid helps it from turning brown.  You need to add enough salsa to give it flavor, if you add too much it will have a darker coloring… but it will still taste delicious.  I make homemade salsa and keep it handy in the fridge.  Using salsa is so much easier then chopping up the ingredients.  You can use garlic salt, powder or fresh depending on what you have handy.

Meal type: side dish

Culinary tradition: Mexican

This post is linked to: Frugal & Fabulous Design Ann KroekerMom Trends, The Shabby NestIt’s a Hodgepodge Life, Tidy Mom, Grocery Cart Challenge, Life As Lori, Somewhat Simple, Life As Mom, We are THAT FamilySomeday Crafts, Sew Much Ado, Me and My Bucket, The Trendy Treehouse, New Nostalgia, All Thingz Related, It’s A Blog Party!, Sugar Bee, CrazyDaisy,  Beauty and Bedlam, A Beautiful MessBlessed with Grace, Lucky Star Lane, All The Small Stuff and Silly Little Sparrow

I link up to these wonderful websites, please visit them and show them some love!!

Did you enjoy what you’ve read? Subscribe to Domestic Dame by email or in a reader and join me in my Domestic Adventures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Rating 3.00 out of 5
[?]

Tagged as:  · · · · ·

Trackback URL | RSS Comment Feed

17 Responses to “Grilled Avocados & the best Guacamole EVER!!”

1. Love your site …. hate avocados! LOL! I am a new follower from the Blog Hop over at Moms Review 4 You. Come visit and follow me.
    Tina @ Savings Corner recently posted..Walmart Deals- 8-11-10

2. Marianne says:

Hello! I’m a new follower from the blog hop! I can’t wait to try some of your recipes. I’m hungry just thinking about them!

Lucy’s Human

3. Grilled Avocados and the best Guacamole EVER!! http://goo.gl/fb/MlNbK

4. Missy (@aytgim) says:

YUM! I LOVE avocado and guacamole. You are the only other one that I have seen use mayonnaise in their recipe. People usually look at me like I am crazy, but it is so good!

• Vanessa says:

I love it!! Great minds think alike! When I was really young I used to make my dad guacamole all the time. One time when we were eating out he asked the waiter what he used because mine never tasted like theres… they told him mayonnaise. Ever since then I have always used it but I don’t often tell people cause I get really strange reactions whenever I mention it!

5. Stopping by and following through Welcome Wednesday! Avocados are big time around here. All of us just love them! Thanks for the grilling idea, I had never thought about doing that! Feel free to come by and I would love for you to follow back!

Amy @ rendermemama.blogspot.com

6. Grilling avocados…now there’s a recipe I definitely would like!
    Following from FMBT…I know I’m late, but if I was ontime, I just wouldn’t be me!

7. Oh my gosh! I could roll around in guacamole! I love it!!! I bet your tastes devine!

Erin @ Making Memories recently posted..Wordless Wednesday &amp Toy Story 3

8. SecretKept says:

I saw you on Welcome Wednesday! Newest follower!
    I love guacamole. I use hungry girl’s recipe, it’s most peas sooooooo tasty

9. I’m a new follower and I LOVE avocados. I have never grilled them but I am going to try it.
    Yoli @ Apron Senorita recently posted..Welcome Wednesday

10. Mmmm I love guacamole! I’ve never tried grilling avacados but will have to try it. Visiting from NFF :)
    Julie@ My Life…Inspired recently posted..Party Exhaustion

11. alicia says:

Yummy. Love me some avocados! I’ll have to try this guac recipe too. Thanks so much for linking it up with tasty tuesdays!
    alicia recently posted..Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop- Angel Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting

12. Bugaboo says:

Hmmm, what an interesting idea — grilling avocados. I have my own fav recipe for guac, and next time might have to heat up the grill to grill the avocados first. Thanks!
    Bugaboo recently posted..Slow Cooked Pork Goodness

13. I love guacamole!! Thanks for this unusual twist–and the Best Ever recipe!
    Ann Kroeker recently posted..Food on Fridays- Homemade Ice Cream Help

14. Jenn says:

this sounds yum! I slice up avocado and put it on everything, it’s just like butter when it’s in season!

I’ll have to try them grilled though, sounds wonderful!

Here from nff, happy weekend!
    Jenn recently posted..Update on the Summer List

15. To continue with my randomness tonight http://bit.ly/dOwS9F these look delicious, but I am not good at picking avocados :(